Banana and chocolate oatmeal
Your daily porridge gets a shot of sugar and spice
Happy almost Christmas, everyone! Yesterday was my last day at work for the next two and a half weeks so I’m in an exceptionally good mood. I thought I’d treat myself to my favourite porridge concoction this morning. I wasn’t the biggest fan of porridge growing up – I found it really bland. Not surprising since chocolate doughnuts were my snack of choice most days. But as I grew up, I started to enjoy oat biscuits, oat bars and oat cookies – all of which warmed me up to the idea of giving porridge another go. Nowadays I can’t get enough of it.
This recipe combines three of my favourite things – dark chocolate, bananas and maple syrup. It’s really easy to put together and tastes delicious.
- 40g rolled oats
- 250ml almond milk (or whatever milk you prefer. You can use water too)
- 1 large banana
- 1tsp dark chocolate chips
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp maple syrup
- Cinnamon (to sprinkle)
- Granola (optional, but so good)
- Cook your oats in your preferred way. I mix the the oats with the milk and pop it in the microwave for about 4 minutes, uncovered. Make sure to stir it halfway through and keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t overflow!
- Mash the banana. I know a lot of people like to slice it up and that’s fine, but I prefer mashing. It really gets the flavour in there. Add the mashed banana to the oats once you’ve taken it out of the microwave.
- Add in the vanilla extract and maple syrup and stir so it all mixes properly.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and dark chocolate chips on top. I’ve also added in Crunchy Nut granola on top to make it extra-crunchy.
There you have it! Super fast to make, it’s good for you and the chocolate adds a little bit of fun. Enjoy!